Blood Sweat and Tears

While manifesting can be fun and quick, it isn’t always rainbows and unicorns. Sometimes manifesting can be a very rocky road where you need to hang on for dear life and keep your eye on the prize.

Take my recent move and the manifestation of my beautiful home as an example.


Admittedly, moving can be a stressful event at the best of times. But, being a planner and an organizer, I figured that I had this moving thing beat before I was even out of the gate. Literally.

Utility companies. Check. Telephones. Check. Moving company. Check. Cleaning lady. Check. Notify family, friends, and clients. Check. I had boxes, boxes, and more boxes. My brother Dave was even coming down for a week to help with the final move out of the old, and the move-in of the new.


Wearing my Girl Guide badge proudly, I surveyed the empty cupboards and the growing number of boxes in the garage. I can do this I thought to myself! Easy peasy.

Unfortunately, I had not taken in to consideration the obvious fact that I still am not back to full strength and full stamina, post cancer. I had not factored in just how stressful it would be to move my elderly mother. And, of course, there were the “dark” unforeseen forces lurking just around the corner.

My first hint of a lumpy bumpy ride was the moving company informing me that they could not move me the same day that they packed up my house. What?! Now I had to add finding an affordable hotel room for three people and two dogs to my list. Great.

Only one week before moving and my lawyer calls to say that the buyers of my house are asking for an extension on the closing date. “You are kidding, right?!” I said.

I hung up the phone. I paced around the kitchen and vented to my friend Tammy, who was there at the time. I expressed several expletives that ladies should not repeat. Fortunately Tammy was pretty calm about it all and that helped peel me off the ceiling. Then I called my lawyer back.

“Absolutely not. My house is packed. My seller’s house is packed. My financing is in place. Absolutely not. The buyers and their lawyer can just figure it out themselves.”

Moving day was finally here. My goal was to be at the new house by 3 PM as the telephone hookup was scheduled for between 3 and 5 PM. That didn’t happen. The moving team was great, even though they took longer than I would have hoped. Then my brother Dave, who was doing a last-minute run to the dump, unfortunately got stuck in traffic for over an hour due to a motor vehicle accident.

What a storm we had that day! Our trucks were both loaded with stuff that the movers would not take or that we felt were too fragile to risk with the movers. The trip in the stormy night with a heavy downpour all the way to my new destination was unpleasant to say the least.  I was grateful that it was only an hour’s drive away. Even so, it felt so bizarre. Like I was outside my body watching someone else do this crazy trip to a new town. Upon arrival we were too tired to unload our vehicles in the wind and the rain and the dark. Dave doesn’t have a canopy on his truck so we managed to squeeze his big truck in to the garage on a sharp angle by having him push hard against the bumper while I closed the garage door. We trundled off into the night looking for a place to plunk down our weary bones and be fed a hot meal.

My mom had a rough time that night. We put it down to a stressful week, uncomfortable hotel beds, and poor air circulation. But, in fact, it was a warning sign of things to come.

A dry morning saw the arrival of the moving trucks. It became a long morning of directing five men. On paper that sounds like fun, right?! In reality, not so much. I just wanted to start unpacking. And where did all this stuff come from anyways?

Well in to the unloading, I was told by the movers that they could not get one of my sofas downstairs. A quick change of furniture placement on the fly was required. Then I was told that they could not get my box spring for my bed downstairs either! Say what?! Sigh.

Other than those two issues, the move itself was actually uneventful. Unfortunately, after the movers left, I discovered that, despite my best plans, I had no telephone, no Internet, and no television. Say it isn’t so!

It took me 2 and a half days to even get through to Telus. Such disgraceful service. To add insult to injury, not only did Telus have no record of my change order, those new telephone numbers I was so happy with and had given out to family, friends, and clients where needed? Well, they already belonged to other people! One person had one of the telephone numbers that was given to me for over 12 years.

And how did Telus rectify this blunder? By telling me I had to wait another week before I could get service! Great. Just great. That one week turned into another week which turned into another week. Three weeks without contact with my family, friends, or customers. I was not a happy camper.

You would think that the Telus blunder would be enough to move me to tears. But I was surprisingly stoic about it.

For anyone that has moved recently, you remember just how hard it is. So the sweat in my title is pretty self-explanatory. But the blood? Besides scraped knuckles and a banged up shin, I somehow managed to trip over one of my carpets that was folded on the floor. As a result I ripped off my baby toenail! Ouch!  Blood was flying everywhere on the floor and on the carpet. Fortunately, Dave was there to the rescue. He dug out a Band-Aid from my first-aid kit, slapped it on, and I kept on moving and directing.


Moving is really hard work man! Wow. And more stressful than I remember, despite my best laid plans. Throughout the week before and the week of the move, I managed to break every one of my finger nails! Now don’t laugh! It is a big deal. But was that enough to move me to tears? Nope. I survived.

So what was the final chapter in my moving saga that moved me to tears? Well, three days after we had moved in to our lovely new home, my mom woke me in the middle of the night asking me to call an ambulance for her. I had no telephone service! Thank you Telus. Thank God I still had my cell phone working and actually had it charged for a change.

We thought it was the usual “I can’t breathe” scenario, where they rush my mom to the hospital, stabilize her, and then promptly turned around and send her home. This has been happening for several months now.

Unfortunately, no. My mom’s lungs were so bad this time that they just stopped working by the time the ambulance reached the hospital. I live only five minutes from the Campbell River Hospital (important criteria on my long list of house requirements that I gave the Universe). Even less by ambulance! And if that wasn’t enough, her heart, under so much stress from trying to help her lungs, finally gave out and she had a heart attack.

It was my worst nightmare come true. I had had this tiny fear in the back of my head for some time that I couldn’t seem to shake that, when she found me settled in to a new home, my mom would cross over. I am just getting to know her and develop a relationship with her. I selfishly want my mom to stick around for a few more years at least.

I was so grateful to walk into her hospital room with my brother and see her breathing on her own. We all hugged and cried with the release of tension, fear, stress, and joy. Of course, I had to give her heck.

“We talked about this. You promised to stay.” I said to her.

Go ahead. Call me selfish. I don’t mind. You would be right. Because that was exactly how I was feeling.

As we held each other I whispered to my mom, “I was so scared.”

Shaking she replied, “I was scared too.”

“Don’t leave me!” I fiercely whispered in her ear. She nodded her head. And we smiled at each other.

My mom was in the hospital for 11 days, half of that in ICU. The staff at the Campbell River Hospital were wonderful! She even managed to acquire her new family doctor there. My mom can be quite the charmer!

I am so grateful that we were living in my new home when my mom had her heart attack. Why? In Comox, I was 15 minutes from the Comox Hospital. That would have been 10 minutes too long for my mom. She would not have made it.

My mom is home now and doing well. We are grateful for that. We are taking each day as it comes. She is enjoying the house as much as I am and we are hoping beyond hope that my mom will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

Thank you to everyone for your love and support these past few weeks. God Bless.


About the author

Nina Andersen

The Inconvenient Messenger

I was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer in 2014. I turned away from conventional medical treatment and chose instead to treat myself successfully with natural, holistic, traditional medicine.

I believe that,
we can let cancer fill us with fear,
we can fight against cancer with all that we have,
or we can embrace cancer for
the inconvenient messenger that it is.
The choice is ours.

I invite you to join me on my cancer journey as I share my experiences and the powerful messages I have received along the way about life and living.

Copyright © 2017. Created by The Inconvenient Messenger.